Some possibilities for moving the Leap forward could be the following:
– Examine and interrogate government policy in relation to sustainable development and the local Plan in the light of the so called housing crisis, drawing out where it may be misleading, misguided or even deceiving. From this could be drafted up a DOCUMENT PAPER which will be disseminated and readily available to all both online and in the local communities of Torridge and North Devon.
– Form a panel/group of activists, artists, writers, councillors, community workers, environmentalists to come together in order to reimagine a bold and compelling alternative vison for the area in response to government policy on sustainable development and the local plan. This vision could lay bare, address and identify the root causes and not the symptoms, namely the dominant economic philosophy and logic of our time – extractivism to feed perpetual growth rooted in ever-increasing consumption. It could emphasize the frames – how things are connected and not particulars of individual policies and seek to find unity and commonality across very different experiences and issues.
– Produce a Leap manifesto document which will be made available online, in the press, radio, both locally and nationally.
– Create a Peoples Platform which can be joined and signed along with government bodies, organizations, charities.
– Explore the possibility of a national collective freeze on council tax and hold Devon county and Torridge District council to account with regards to development and planning and thus begin to take steps to renegotiate a move towards creating a more equitable future for all.
– Run Localising the Leap Manifesto events using Open Space and World Café technologies in the local community to engage with these issues and stimulate the collective consciousness into action and participation.